Summer here has NOT been timid at all. In fact, it has been screaming, dancing and unashamed to flash all of its glory. This weather would be totally acceptable if we were in the beach and can strip off easily to cool down in the water. Although, if you can't run to the nearest island, the next logical choice would be to stay home and lay comfortably in our beds with the air conditioning on. While the laying in our beds and having the air conditioning on all day sounds like heaven. It is a luxury we regular people can't afford. So allow me to aid you a wee bit in overcoming the heat and even save on power with this super refreshing drink!
- 2 cups sugar
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice, about 4 lemons (peel off the zest of 1 lemon and slice into thin strips)
- Fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 250g Strawberries, hulled and diced
- Make the basil syrup. Combine the sugar and 2 cups of water in a small saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer over low heat to dissolve sugar. Once the sugar is completely dissolved add a handful of basil leaves, remove from heat to cool. Remove basil leaves and let the syrup cool. Refrigerate.
- Mix basil syrup, remaining 8 cups of water and lemon juice.
- Serve in individual glasses with ice and garnish with lemon zest strips, diced strawberries and basil chiffonade.