Kiwi Banana Bread
I hate it when a good thing goes to waste. In the kitchen, one of those things are the unsightly scene of an overripe banana all banged up, almost mushy to the touch and with an overly sweet scent that have attracted one or two little bugs that like to hover around it. That is why I find the kitchen to be a magical place. It turns some unsightly ingredients into something amazing.
A few years back, Michelle of Momma 'N Manila invited me to her home to join in on a thing she called #cookfest. Basically, a cookfest is a cooking marathon wherein we would each bring the ingredients of a recipe we'd like to try out, in accordance with the theme. Michelle is ever the gracious host and she almost always welcomes us to do this in her home. So we call in some ready and willing friends and we've got ourselves a COOKFEST! We did an Easter cookfest before and I posted the recipe of our Easter Chocolate Bar and all the other details here.
When I saw the tray of kiwis just lying around her counter top, I immediately suggested to use some of it for baking. And so we did! I realize that each family has their very own banana bread recipe but who's to say that we can't jazz it up once in a while, right?
This recipe uses no butter, just coconut oil. I know what you're thinking, that it might taste coconut-y and take away the banana flavor. I promise you it won't. And it makes this banana bread recipe a little healthier than most. Not only is it pretty but I love that the sweetness of the banana bread goes perfectly well with the tart kiwi. I also love those crunchy little black seeds!
Kiwi Banana Bread
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. yogurt
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ cup coconut oil
1 cup sugar
3 kiwis, peeled and cut in half-moon shapes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper and grease again with oil or butter.
- Mix dry ingredients together; flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a bowl.
- Mash 3 bananas and slice up the remaining 2 bananas.
- Stir wet ingredients together; mashed bananas, yogurt, coconut oil, sugar and eggs in another bowl. Stir in dry mixture until blended. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and top with sliced bananas and kiwi.
- Bake for about 60 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.