I have to admit that this is only my second time making pancakes from scratch. The first one was a terrible mess many years back so I never really felt compelled to have another go at it. However, today was different, I thought of giving my boys an early morning treat.
I went on a market run yesterday and I saw these lovely local blueberries for only Php180.00/container. They're smaller than the imported blueberries but they're just as yummy. I also love that it's locally grown and fresh from the market!
Going to the market, I didn't have any plans of what to cook. I just told myself that I should get inspiration from what I see. True enough, I saw these blueberries and the first thing I wanted to make was BLUEBERRY PANCAKES! Usually, I would use the pancake box mixes and sprinkle in the blueberries. But what a waste of a fresh and organic ingredient (blueberries), right?! I knew that the pancakes HAD to be made from scratch. It's really as easy as using the pancake box mixes, I promise!!!
Go and give your family a treat too!
- 1 cup Blueberries, plus more for garnish
- 2 1/2 cups All purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp. Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2 cups Buttermilk (2 cups milk + 2 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. Butter, melted and cooled
- Strawberries, for garnish
- Butter or oil, for cooking
- Combine the dry ingredients; all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Whisk together 2 eggs, vanilla extract, buttermilk and melted butter.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture gradually, making sure not to overmix it. Batter will be a little bit lumpy, it doesn't have to be completely smooth.
- In a non-stick pan or griddle, pour the pancake batter using your 1/3 measuring cup, add blueberries while one side is cooking and flip (cooking time: 1-2 minutes on each side).
- Garnish with strawberries more blueberries and top with maple syrup.