Apple Crisp ala Mode
This season is all about warm, familiar and hearty food. Nothing ever beats a healthy serving of warm Apple Crisp with over-flowing scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream for the traditional taste but feel free to go crazy with sorbets, chocolate-y flavors, etc. to top your apple crisp with.
All I know is that for potluck season, this is THE choice!
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 7 pieces Granny Smith apples and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons fresh calamansi juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, salt, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar. Combine butter, oats and flour, using the best tool ever, your hands! Crumble mixture you’re your fingertips. Then toss and squeeze mixture until large, moist clumps form.
- In another large bowl, toss apples with calamansi juice, cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar. Transfer to a shallow 2-quart baking dish, and sprinkle with topping mixture. Bake until golden and bubbling, 50-60 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.